Holidays in Versilia between history and culture!
Regarding the origins of Versilia, formerly called Fosse Papiriane, we can not help but discover them through the individual municipalities that make up, especially Stazzema, Seravezza, Forte dei Marmi, Pietrasanta and the subsequent addition of Camaiore, considered precisely the "Versilia Storica".
From the geographical point of view "Versilia Storica" Cinquale ditch runs from north to south ditch Motrone and coincides with what was the captaincy of Pietrasanta, including all inland and territtorio only part of the town of Camaiore.
Pietrasanta was born at about the thirteenth century, when the mayor of Lucca, after destroying the castles of Corvaia Vallecchia and took refuge with the army over the cliffs above the town.
Under the dominion of Castruccio Castracani Pietrasanta experienced a great development so that the same in 1324 built the Rocchetta and the Duomo.
After the death of Castracani and a fire in the city, the power back into the hands of Lucca and then go to Florence in 1484. The Florentine rule did not last long however, and the power came back into the hands of Lucca. Michelangelo Buonarroti came with the opening of first marble quarries that brought the city a major economic development. In 1700 Pietro Leopoldo contributed decisively to the development of the city by implementing land reclamation projects and encouraging the construction of hotels and houses.
In 1799, however, with the advent of French economic development suffered a setback and then resume after the fall of Napoleon. From this moment on Pietrasanta met only moments of recovery so that in 1842 the school was opened for the artistic working of marble, which is currently active, and changed its name to send me a magistrate remained intact even after the unification of Italy.
Already named one understands such as Forte dei Marmi acted as liaison between the marble quarries of the Apuan Alps and the outlet to the sea. The first building was the "Stock of Marbles ", commissioned by Cosimo de 'Medici, around which was built in a short time a small village of fishermen and sailors.
Thus began the development of this small country that saw slowly grow more and more not only its shipbuilding activities but also their inhabitants. So it was that at about '800 Forte dei Marmi became a favorite destination for upper middle class and nobility town. With the birth of the first bathing establishments and the autonomy of the Commune in 1914, the town reached its peak so that the wealthiest families built their villas in the pine forest of Imperial Rome.
Viareggio was founded as an outlet to the sea for Lucca. The area was composed of an expanse of marshland infested with mosquitoes and malaria. Around 1450 the Lucchese decided to reclaim the territory and conscious of the danger posed by Pisani they built a fort near the sea that would protect the channel, "Torre Matilde.
He became Vicar of the capital of the Coast in 1617, Viareggio in these years was the scene of a rapidly expanding population and trade. All this meant that in the Napoleonic era were built new buildings and bathing facilities, under the pressure derives its nobility, who saw in this town Maritime ideal place to enjoy a good climate.
From now on only knew Viareggio stages of development, so much that they created the first bathing history as the Neptune bath and the Whale, which are present even today on the beautiful promenade on which we can enjoy coffee and cinema-style liberty.